Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Wilkommenus


Wilkommenus! That's how I imagine the Germans said welcome back when Emperor Augustus came for a visit. A statue of the (not holy) roman emperor stands at the top of a fountain in the town square in front of the Rathaus. The city was founded in 15 b.c. as Augusta Vindelicorum, but the Germans shortened it to Augsburg. A good decision, I think.


The cathedral in Augsburg has the biggest painting of Mr. (formerly saint) Christopher that I have ever seen. It also has the oldest painted-glass windows in the world. But my favorite was a little fresco on the vaulted ceiling in the crypt. It was under another layer of fresco, and the only part showing was a piece that was missing from the newer fresco. It was a picture of Jesus with a dove over his head, and the dove had the almond-shaped eyes that I associate with Romanesque drawings.




No comments: